Friday, December 5, 2008

Another Kennedy in the Senate?

Caroline Kennedy, the lone surviving child of President John F. Kennedy and Jackie Kennedy, is reported to be very interested in filling the soon to be vacant senate seat of Hillary Rodham Clinton. Now, I am not one for grudges, and lord knows the Kennedy's have given a lot to this country, but she didn't endorse Hillary during the primaries and she actually worked hard to ensure Barack Obama defeated Mrs. Clinton. Why should she get Hillary's Senate seat? Ms. Kennedy has never really shown any desire to serve the public in electoral politics. Maybe she thinks she can one-up Mrs. Clinton and be the first woman elected to the White House? I don't think that would happen.

Personally, I believe the soon-to-be vacated seat should be awarded to Kristen Gillibrand. She is a member of the House of Representatives from Upstate New York. It would probably turn over a congressional seat to the Republicans, but I think that is risk worth taking. It would put an upstater in the Senate and it would also ensure that the seat was held by a woman. My other choice to replace Mrs. Clinton would be Nita Lowey, from Westchester County. She has served in the House of Representatives for 20 years I believe and knows New York like no one else.


Those are just my humble opinions and well, I don't believe Gov. Patterson will be asking for me for any advice.

Update

I was just reading on Americablog:

Apparently, Nita Lowey has taken herself out of consideration for the Senate seat. You can read the entire tidbit here.

No comments: