Saturday, October 4, 2008

Health Care Crisis

This is an exerpt from Barack Obama's speech today. It is one of the most powerful examples of how our healthcare system is broken.


In the end, none of this will be easy. We’re up against a powerful, entrenched status quo in Washington that will say anything and do anything and fight with everything they’ve got to keep things the way they are.

But I know that if we come together, and work together, we can do this. So many people are counting on us.

A woman named Robyn who I met in Florida, is one of those people. Back in May, her 16 year old son Devon came to one of our events, and I got to meet him at the airport in Fort Lauderdale. Later that day, Devon became seriously ill. His heart started racing, and his lips turned white. He was rushed to the hospital and almost went into cardiac arrest. He was later diagnosed with a heart condition and told he needed a procedure that would cost tens of thousands of dollars. Robyn’s insurance company refused to pay -- they said it was a pre-existing condition – and Robyn’s family doesn’t have that kind of money.

But until Devon has that procedure, he has to take medication and stop all physical activity. No more gym classes. No more football at school. No more basketball at the park with his friends.

After we met, Robyn sent me an email in which she wrote, “My son deserves all that life has to offer. Money should NEVER determine the quality of a child’s life. I can’t help but feel as if somehow we failed Devon. Why couldn’t we be the rich family that has the great insurance or could whip out 50 grand like it is nothing?”

She ended her email with these words, “I ask only this of you – on the days where you feel so tired you can’t think of uttering another word to the people, think of us. On the days when you are playing basketball, think of Devon, who can’t. When those who oppose you have you down, reach deep and fight back harder.”

Today, I want to say to Robyn and Devon and everyone like them across America, you have my word that I will never back down, I will never give up, I will never stop fighting until we have fixed our health care system and no family ever has to go through what you’re going through, and my mother went through, and so many people go through every day in this country. That is my promise to you.

And if all of you here today will stand with me in this work – if you’ll talk to your friends and neighbors, get people to the polls, and give me your vote, then together, we won’t just win this election, we will transform this nation. Thank you, God bless you, and may God bless America.

No comments: